Jenn Baker. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Garden Tour!

 Thursday, May 13, 2010

It has been awhile since I updated about our garden.  Some vegetables are doing great while some are suffering.  Any advice, words of wisdom, help, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  This is our first gardening experience in Dallas and only our second year of gardening all together.  Our garden in St. Louis did just okay.  But I have high expectations for this year.  Dallas weather has proven to be a little tricky--not sure how that will affect what we have planted.  I have heard that you can grow anything in Texas.  We will put that to the test!

We decided to go with a variety of vegetable plant purchases this year.  Some we planted from seeds, some we got from a local plant shops (Covington Nursery and Well's Brother), some from the big box stores (Lowe's and Home Depot), and some from mail order (Burpee.com). 

Our peas are doing great.  As the boys ate the first ones straight out of the garden...

And Connor keeps asking for more. I can not stress how important it is for kids to see how our food grows.  It is amazing what they will eat and try straight out of the garden.  Or even from the Farmer's Market. 

So, like I have said previously, we are doing the whole Square Food Gardening method again.  This is using a special mix of vermiculite, peat moss, and compost.  We used this mixture in both of the garden boxes as well as in our containers, inside house plants, and hanging baskets.  It is so easy to work with.  My concern is that a lot of our plants leaves have turned a light green and/or brown color.  Could the soil be missing an important nutrient?  And it seems that some are now growing very well, but still look healthy otherwise.  Any ideas?  Take a look...

Here is the first garden box:

The green leaf lettuce we just ate this week.  It was quite tasty.  We started some from seed in the same square and it sprouted and that was it.  It hasn't grown since.  Oh well.  And another question, do you have to keep re-planting lettuce once you harvest it?


Onions look like they could be doing better.  Is there something wrong with them?  Or is this how onions are supposed to look?


Here are these sad looking carrots.  (Sorry for the bad picture too).  Why aren't they growing?  Wrong season? 

And in the first box, we have beets and radishes that I planted from seed.  Only a few of the seeds sprouted, but haven't grown since they sprouted.  Last years garden, the beets and radishes did amazing!  Any ideas why they have not grown? 

Box two is doing much better than box one!  It has much more vertical growth and just more overall growth. 

Garlic looks like it is doing good.  Especially since this was one of the most recent things I planted.  However, is this what garlic should look like?  This is the first time I have grown garlic!  Help!!!


The peas are doing great.  They are getting bushy and climbing.  And these are the ones we planted from seeds.  The pea plants we purchased have died and gone to plant heaven.


These are the green beans.  They seem to be doing okay and already have a few beans we could problably eat.  Yah!  But the plant looks a little weak and is just starting to climb.

And the pepper plants (everyting from jalepenos to bell peppers have not done well in previous years and this year they are not looking that good either.  What gives?  I am at  a loss!


And there are MORE tomatoes.  I may have gone a little overboard on the tomatoe plants.  Oops.  But they don't like like they are thriving.  Any ideas???


This container of herbs has seen better days.  For some reason, everything in this pot tunred this yellowy color.  Too much water?  Not sure.  Any suggestions?

*I will post some pictures of some of our indoor plants within the next few days.  I have some questions about those as well :)  Again, any help is welcome!

3 comments:

The Ungardener May 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

If I were you I would start by finding some worm castings and making compost tea from them. There are instructions online to make fairly complicated compost tea, but really it's about soaking the compost and stirring it often. It's been my experience that putting compost in a bucket of water on Friday night and stirring it every time I walk by it until sunday mid-day, when I use it to water my plants. If it's very hot it may go bad, I'm not sure since I've only done it in the spring. I'll find out this summer :)

Amy May 13, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

I don't have much advice for you, but I do know that you need to replant the lettuce after harvest. It doesn't like a lot of heat or it will bolt. I plant mine in the spring and then wait until more towards fall.

qurkl May 13, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

From the photos your onions, garlic, peas, and beans look fine to me. Will you be moving your tomatoes to your Square Foot Gardens? They should do better there than in the pots. I can't tell for sure what herbs are in your pot. It looks like one may be basil going to seed. If you let basil flower you won't get any more leaves to harvest. Let me know what herbs there are and I may be able to help.
Did you use at least 3 different types of compost. Your plants could be yellow and not growing well if you only used one. Was the soil mix any different in box 1 from box 2? Does one box get more sun?

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP