Jenn Baker. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Garden Box!

 Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Well, we finally found the time & energy to build another garden box since I went a little overboard on the tomato plants this year.  This is the first one that I have helped build.  We used this plan from Knock-off Wood.  She has some awesome plans that I would love to make in the near future.  And the BEST news is that this box cost only 10 bucks!  Yes, amazing.  However, the bad news is the soil mixture we used is quite expensive, so it is a good thing we saved on building the box :)

And the other AWESOME part...I got to use the SAW!!!  Yes, Chris finally let me make some cuts.  I loved it.  It was great!  And here is the proof...

That's Right!  I used the skilsaw AND the miter saw.  And I know the names of them!  Impressive, huh?

And here is the finished box...
The boys were double checking out work.  (We could have used their help earlier on the corners!)

That was all we could do for one day, so yesterday I went and got some more compost and mixed all the soil.  All by myself, after I mowed the lawn.  Am I getting any sympathy?  It was a lot of work.  See...
Measuring all the compost, peat moss, and vermiculite out.  

A big pile!

Ahhh, but look how pretty it looks all mixed up!

And this is the second pile, as you see I have a little helper now.

Finally, I got it all filled after A LOT of mixing and shoveling and sweating.  And I planted 5 more tomato plants and filled some other containers.  It looks good.  And notice, I have another helper now.

Any sympathy yet?  I would love to say that I am not sore and not sunburned, but that would be a terrible big fat lie.  I hurt.  I feel like I aged 30 years over night.  With the added pain of a sunburn, ouch! 

Here is what I learned...I love Chris for his perfectionism, but I also dislike him for his perfectionism.  It is just a garden box for goodness sakes.  And it only cost $10, so what if we screw something up.  He was just frustrated that the wood we used was cheap and split easily and we didn't have to correct tools, but we made due and it worked just fine.  I could tell he was unhappy with it, while I was just thrilled I got to use the saw and the box is holding the tomato plants, so it was a success.  We definitely balance each other out.  And I wouldn't have it any other way!

3 comments:

Amy May 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

What a great garden bed! Larry wishes that I would use the saw, the miter saw maybe, but the skilsaw - not a chance! Hooray for Jenn!

Ana White May 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

Jenn, your garden boxes look amazing! Nice work!

Jenn May 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

Thanks! Ha! I loved using them both!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP