Jenn Baker. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Chris' Birthday

 Thursday, June 25, 2009


Instead of making Daddy a card, we decided to make him a Happy Birthday sign. This was fun for Connor. We traced Connor & Dylan's hands and feet. Connor thought that was a lot of fun. Connor couldn't wait to show Chris the sign when he got home from work. He was very proud. Then we got to have a nice birthday meal of Ribeye steaks, grilled asparagas, bread with pesto, and salad. And of course dessert!
Connor couldn't wait for cake. He kept asking for cake since this morning when we decorated it. But he did manage to wait it out.
Connor helped decorate the cake (as I baked it last night in an effort to not make the house any warmer). He was thrilled to help and even more exciting to eat the frosting!


I remembered why I hate baking cakes:

1. It takes too long.
2. You can't even taste it before you serve it-it is way too noticable if you do.
3. You have to wait to eat it along with everyone else.
4. There is no such thing as a small cake & I won't want it to go to waste, so I will end up eating it.
5. Decorating it takes way too much patience.


But, what seemed like 5 sticks of butter later, we had a yummy chocolate cake with chocolate frosting that we all enjoyed. Oh yes, and I couldn't find a buttercream frosting recipe that I liked, so I decided to make up my own-needless to say it turned out very tasty. I was impressed.

2 comments:

Amy June 26, 2009 at 12:18 AM  

Yum, will you share your buttercream recipe?

Jenn June 26, 2009 at 8:33 AM  

I think this should at least be close to the buttercream recipe:

-1 stck of butter (1/2 cup)
-1/2 cup shortening (I use Organic Jungle shortenig)
-about 2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
-1/4 tsp vanilla
-3 Tbsp whole milk

*the powdered sugar & milk were just added as need be to reach desired consistency.

It was very yummy though.

And the recipe I used for the chocolate frosting was from Matha Stewart:
-1/2 cup butter
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch processed)
-1/4 tsp salt
-2 TBSP milk (I used whole milk)

Whisk together confectioners' sugar, cocoa, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, gradually add cocoa mixture, scraping down side of bowl as necessary. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat frosting until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds.

*I did double the recipe in order to cover the cake :)

* This is my new favorite chocolate frosting for cupcakes & cakes...YUM!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP