Jenn Baker. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Believe 10K Race

 Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cold doesn't even begin to describe how the morning started out!  It was a chilly 32 degrees when we arrived at the race!  Brrr.  It was so cold that 'Frosty the Snowman' made an appearance...


Have I mentioned that I am not a fan of the cold?  And especially not running in it.  Great idea of a race Kim ;-)  Just kidding, we had a blast!

We got lined up and started out a little fast, but I like running a fast (for me) first mile because it gives me a little leeway in the next 5 miles.  And at the start, a seasoned runner of this race told us how hilly it was.  And he wasn't kidding!  3 BIG long hills!  Ugh, hills....AND not to mention, the finish line is at the top of a hill.  Lovely. Check out these hills:
The green line shows the elevation change...YUCK!  Have I mentioned I hate hills?!? 

I went with the goal of finishing the race (#1), running the entire thing (#2), and hoping to do it in under an hour (#3).  I managed all those goals in addition to making this time my PR (personal record) for a 10k. 

Stats:
Average pace was 8:36 per mile.  Finished with an official time of 53:32.  Got some great stats from my Garmin, which I love love love having all these stats.  It amazes me!  Although I was constantly looking at my watch every couple minutes, it was a nice distraction from the cold, my numb feet, and my aching hip(s).  LOL.

Other stats:  I came in #74 our of 210 people (men & women).  #25 out of 111 female runners.  And #4 in my age group, I was almost a full minute behind the third place finisher, oh well!  Perhaps one day I will get some bling :)  LOL. 

After the race, we headed to a local coffee shop in downtown McKinney (which has some very neat little shops!).  So, once I got my delicious zebra mocha, I was in heaven.  Then, I couldn't pass up a donut.  Yum!  So worth running 6.2 miles ;-)
 
Despite the cold weather, hitting a bunny on the way, and the hills, we had a wonderful morning!  ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous,  November 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

Holy smokes... you are TOO fast... look at your pace for the last 2 tenths... I can't hold that for 2 seconds. Gee whiz. This almost makes me think you are meant for shorter races (5 and 10k) where you can really push the pace...

Jenn November 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

For what it is worth...I am totally feeling it today! (Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!) There were some seriously speedy runners at the race, I was not one of them :)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP